Become a Certified Meditation Teacher
Help to transform people’s lives in a tremendous way
Overview of the Program
Apply to be a Certified Meditation Teacher
Program Tuition & Enrollment Guidelines
Faculty & Adjunct Faculty
A Message from the Founder
Seeking a life more infused with creativity and inner peace?
Would you like to enhance your
personal meditation practice and your career?
Become an inspiring teacher, effective educator, and trusted mentor trained to teach scientifically proven, time-tested meditation techniques.
Share the transformative power of meditation with your students, family, clients or patients to help them discover newfound strength, creativity, inner peace, and greater well-being in their everyday lives.
We believe a new meditator should be mentored by a certified, experienced professional who can deliver comprehensive meditation instruction. We know each student, if taught correctly, will continue to meditate on their own and will experience the benefits that meditation can provide.
Learning to meditate can be a fundamentally transformative experience essential for those longing to live peacefully in our modern-day world. Teaching meditation is transformative too and fulfilling in so many ways.
Is Teaching Meditation in Your Future?
If you are looking for more passion, meaning and purpose in your life, and are a therapist, counseling professional, educator, life coach, executive, manager, healer, yoga teacher, or someone who wants to deepen the work you’re already doing in the world, and you are committed to being a guide for others and are called to serve a greater cause, the McLean Meditation Institute Teacher Certification Program is designed for you.
It's a complete course in the theory, science, and practice of meditation designed to prepare individuals to deliver professional meditation instruction to their clients, patients, family, and the general public.
You'll receive a high degree of specialized training in the knowledge, skills, and presence necessary to teach the Simple, Easy, Every Day Meditation Method, a powerful daily meditation practice suitable for anyone.
The Meditation Teacher Training is ideal for:
- Physicians, Nurses, Midwives,
- Psychologists, Therapists, Counselors, Social Workers, Addiction Professionals,
- Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, Acupuncturists, Healers,
- Educators, Elementary and High School Teachers, College Professors,
- Yoga Teachers, Pilates Instructors, Physical Trainers, Fitness Gurus,
- Healers, Health and Wellness Coaches,
- Anyone seeking to share a powerful, natural stress-reduction and healing modality with people they care about.
Will You Make a Great Teacher?
A great teacher has these qualities:
- A dedicated personal meditation practice, one that they've been doing every day for a substantial length of time;
- A deep knowledge of the mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual science-based benefits of meditation;
- A commitment to their practice even when times are tough, or, if they started because times were tough, they remain committed to their practice even when life is easy;
- Experience in the tangible benefits of meditation in their own lives and the ability to articulate them;
- Mental, physical and emotional balance;
- A grounded, yet light-hearted approach to life and meditation;
- Respect for each person's personal beliefs and credo, no matter how different they may be from their own.
If you have these qualities, then this training could be for you. Contact an admissions counselor to find out more. (928) 204-0067
Overview of the Meditation Teacher Certification Program
The 200-hour McLean Meditation Institute (MMI) Teacher Certification Program provides the training, support, and supervision to individuals wishing to deepen their own personal practice, teach friends and family members, incorporate meditation training into their existing profession, or develop a private meditation teaching practice in their community.
Throughout the program, you'll be mentored by Sarah McLean, a best-selling Hay House author and meditation expert. For 20 years, she has been teaching mainstream meditation to a wide variety of people, from kids to retirees, to veterans and CEOs, and olympic athletes and physicians. She runs her own successful meditation business in Sedona, Arizona and for the certification program is joined by a faculty of experts in the field of mind/body health, sciences, mental health, yoga, marketing, and more.
The first part of the program is a 150-hour self-paced Online Learning & Personal Practice Course where you will be introduced to, review, and be tested on these and other topics:
- The history and modern day applications of meditation and mindfulness
- What “meditation” is, and the myths and misconceptions of meditation
- Various types of meditation practices and their applications - when to use them and why
- The scientifically proven benefits of meditation that enhance mental, physical, and emotional well-being
- Neuroplasticity, meditation & the brain, and how mediation trains your attention
- The mind/body connection and creating wellbeing
- Stress and the effects on the mind and body - and shifting the stress response from “fight or flight” to “rest and digest”
- The physiological and psychological benefits of a regular meditation practice
- Experiences in meditation, including 3 ways stress is released in meditation, and slipping into “the gap” or transcendence
- The spiritual side of meditation: mystic and wisdom traditions, awakened states of awareness, and self-discovery
- Creating a personal practice and nourishing daily routine, communication practices, going on retreat, and Peacefinder Practices™
After you complete theOnline Learning & Personal Practice Course you'll be ready for the Intensive.
It's a 7-day immersion in a retreat setting in the red rocks of Sedona, Arizona. You'll receive over 50 hours of knowledge and teaching practice, while being immersed in meditation practices and gentle yoga.
You'll be individually coached by one of the best speaking professionals in the business to learn how to be confident while teaching others. You'll practice teaching what you have learned in the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course. And, you'll learn about the business of meditation including developing your own brand, marketing, and effective public relations. You'll graduate from and be certified by the McLean Meditation Institute with the ability to:
- Guide others in the enhancement of their mental, physical, and emotional well-being in a variety of settings
- Deliver powerful meditation instruction to your clients, friends, and community with enhanced presentation and teaching skills, and confidence
Deliver the SEED Meditation Method and various other meditation techniques
Set up and lead group meditations and introductory lectures
Bring meditation into the workplace with a workplace wellness program
Teach kids and bring meditation into the classroom
Teach special populations including veterans
Create a meditation business, including developing marketing strategies for your meditation programs, media relations, online marketing, enrollment procedures, and student/client follow-up communications
Scheduling the 200-Hour Training Program:
The MMI Teacher Certification Program consists of a 200-hour training: an Online Learning and Personal Practice Course followed by an Intensive in Sedona Arizona.
- The 150-hour Online Learning & Personal Practice Course is an extensive course in the theory, history and practice of meditation studied through reading requirements, online programming, virtual classroom attendance, report writing, research, attendance at various programs local to the Student, and open book exams. It's self-paced and can be started anytime. You will be monitored and tested on ten lessons which include: a Teleseries: ten 1–2 hour teleconferences over a three-month period - recorded so students can go at their own pace and make up missed calls. The next Teleseries is offered:
- March 2– May 1
- August– October
- The 50-hour, 7-day Intensive in Sedona, Arizona in a retreat setting is an immersion in meditation and training in teaching meditation. The intesive ncorporates secular, non-religious meditation practices; education about the effects of acute and chronic stress on the body and mind; restorative yoga and other movement practices (no experience required, all body types welcome); facilitated discussions and exercises to help you understand your experiences and connect with your peers; and a half-day of free time in which you can hike with others or enjoy some time to yourself. It includes training in the business of meditation including marketing, public relations and public speaking. Upcoming Intensive opportunities include:
- February 22-28, 2014 - Full
- May 17-23, 2014 - almost full
- July 26–August 1, 2014 - accepting applications
- November 8-14, 2014 - accepting applications
- January 24-30, 2015
- More to come in Spring/Summer 2015
Upon successful completion of the program, you'll receive a certificate and be certified to teach the Simple, Easy, Every Day Meditation Method. S for simple, E for easy, E for every, and D for day, the SEED Meditation® Method consists of a collection of time-tested meditation and mindfulness practices designed to give a new meditator a daily practice that will enhance his or her life.
Whether your students come to you to discover more inner peace, creativity, inspiration, harmony in relationships, fulfillment, better health, self-awareness, or to enhance his or her spiritual practice, you’ll be able to offer them a method that will help them do just that. The SEED Meditation Method includes:
- Body/Breath Awareness Techniques
- Heart-Centered Breath
- Self-Inquiry Practice
- Silent Mantra Meditation
- Mindfulness Practices
- Peacefinder Practices
You will also be trained to facilitate meditation gatherings and discussions with these additional meditation practices:
- Loving Kindness Meditation
- Gratitude Meditation
- Mindful Eating Meditation
- Mindful Walking Meditation
As a certified meditation teacher, you will likely be asked to present meditation classes and lead programs in a variety of settings. We'll teach you how-- whether you are invited to present at a lunch-and-learn at a corporate headquarters, or to a classroom full of kids who want an experience of mindfulness. You'll have everything you need to do it!
Questions? Contact an admissions counselor: (928) 204-0067
Apply to be a Meditation Teacher
There are rolling admissions for the Meditation Teacher Certification Program. To apply, you must submit:
- The Student Application and Health Information Form;
- A 200–500 word essay on why you would like to become a Certified Meditation Teacher;
- 2 written personal recommendations;
- A $35 non-refundable application fee. You can pay the application fee here with Pay Pal, or send in a check, or call (928)204-0067 with a credit card.
- Shortly after all of the application materials have been received by MMI, you will be contacted to schedule a phone interview with an MMI staff member.
Here are the Application Forms you'll need:
Application materials should be completed and sent to The McLean Meditation Institute, Attention: Registrar, PO Box 1178, Sedona, AZ 86339. Or you can fax it to:
Questions? Contact an admissions counselor:
(928) 204-0067 or e-mail us.
Program Tuition, Acceptance & Enrollment
- Once you have been interviewed and asked to enroll, you will be sent an Enrollment Agreement which you must review, sign and send back with your payment. The date the Enrollment Agreement is received by MMI is the official Enrollment Date.
- The tuition for the MMI Teacher Certification Program is $2295 (+$150 materials fee.)
- You can pay for the program in its entirety and receive a discounted rate, or you may pay in two installments.
- If you choose to pay in installments the first one is due at Enrollment: $700 + $150 materials fee. The second is the balance of the tuition due and payable at least 30 days in advance of the Intensive.
- Once you are officially enrolled, you will be sent the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course package with your 10 books, CDs, curriculum notebook, training schedule, and the all-access to the private online training sites and teleconferences.
- After you successfully complete the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course you are eligible to attend the Intensive, and must reconfirm your registration and pay the balance for the program at least 30 days
prior to attending.
- The tuition for the Intensive does not include most meals, transportation, or accommodations.
- Questions? Contact an admissions counselor: (928) 204-0067
Who is teaching the program?
Sarah McLean, Director of the McLean Meditation Institute is a meditation expert and best selling Hay House author. Sarah has been teaching meditation and leading retreats since 1993. She is the primary teacher of the certification program. Find out more about her here.
Sarah invites guest presenters and experts in the teaching and meditation field and those who have lived with meditation as a daily practice for years. She is committed to delivering the most comprehensive meditation certification program possible. She is always available for personal mentorship of her teachers-in-training and oversees and participates in every aspect of the certification program.
Adjunct faculty members include top-notch yoga instructors, speaking coaches, marketing gurus, social media experts, and teaching assistants including:
- Christine Muldoon: Public Speaking Expert, CM Communication International
- Zachary Occhiline: Yoga Instructor, Ayurvedic Expert & Yogic Lifestyle Coach
- Jeanna Zelin: Marketing and Public Relations Expert, Lightbox Media
- Carol Studenka: Social Media Expert
- Vera Lopez: Ceremonialist
Read more about them here
What do I do to enroll in the meditation teacher certification program?
You'll need to send in the completed application form, an essay, two recommendations, and the application fee. Then once we receive it, we'll contact you for an interview regarding the application. If all goes well, you'll be invited to enroll, and will receive an Enrollment Agreement and the Curriculum Overview. Once you have reviewed them, agreed to the terms, and paid the tuition, you will be sent the curriculum and the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course.
When should I apply?
There is an open enrollment, so you can go through the application process and begin your studies anytime. You are never too early or too late to get started.
Here’s how it works: You have 18 months from the time you enroll in the program to complete the self-paced 150-hour Online Learning & Personal Practice Course and then attend the 50-hour, 7-day Intensive in Sedona, Arizona.
You can be ready for the Intensives offered in 2014: May, August, and November of 2014. Each Intensive is limited to about 20 people. Though you don’t have to commit to the date of the training when you apply, it's best to have an idea of when you might like to attend.
You will have the opportunity to change the date of the Intensive if you feel you need to once you determine the pace of your Online Learning & Personal Practice Course.
What does the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course entail?
There are 10 lessons, and each lesson can take 10-15 hours to complete. Depending on your pace and other responsibilities, each lesson can take from one to three weeks. For instance, if you allot about 10 hours a week, you can complete your Home-Study Program in three to four months.
You can complete the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course requirements including listening to the teleseminars (which are recorded for those who can’t make them when offered live), participating in study buddy calls, writing journal entries, practicing meditation (you'll need at least 6 months of practice), doing research, and taking the open book quizzes at your own pace.
The teleseminars are ongoing. They are recorded so you can begin listening to any of previous series of calls any time. The program is self-paced. You don’t have to sign up for the calls though the live calls are announced. It is suggested that you wait until you are involved in the lesson that the teleseminar is based on before listening, though some people like to listen anyway, even if they aren't there yet. It's your choice.
You'll also need to keep up a daily meditation practice of 30-40 minutes a day for a minimum of six months. If you don’t have a practice, we will help you to get going on it.
Your work must be completed and submitted 21 days before you attend the Intensive in Sedona, Arizona.
The program requires dedication and a hard work. Some people say it's like a master's degree program. You’ll be clearer about all of what this entails once you apply and get accepted in the program, that's when you'll be sent an Enrollment Agreement and a Curriculum Overview.
What are the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course materials?
The curriculum includes 9 books and CDs and a detailed study guide. There are 9 open book quizzes, 10 teleseminar training calls, many written assignments, and 4 study group meetings which you'll do on your own and with other teachers-in-training. There is a private teacher website and Facebook group page where you will meet the other students who are currently enrolled and are also training at their own pace.
Is the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course on a specific schedule or can I complete the work at my own pace?
Do the program at your own pace.
You have 18 months from the time you enroll until you need to complete the Online Learning and Personal Practice Course from home, and then attend the Intensive in Sedona, Arizona. You have plenty of time, but the program requires dedication and a lot of hard work. You’ll be clearer about all of what this entails when you receive the curriculum.
You can complete the Online Learning & Personal Practice Course requirements including listening to the teleseminars (which are recorded for those who can’t make them when offered live) and take the quizzes at your own pace.
You don’t have to sign up for the teleseminars, they are announced, and then you attend, or listen to the recording. It is suggested that you wait until you are involved in the lesson that the teleseminar is based on, though some people like to listen anyway, even if they aren't there yet. It's your choice.
When do I sign up for the Intensive?
Indicate the dates you'd like to join the Intensive on your application form, and this reserves your spot. You don't have to pay for the program right away if you are choosing the installman plan, though there are incentives for paying the fees early on. To be officially registered you must fill in the registration form for the Intensive and pay in full at least 30 days in advance of attending. If you find you are not ready to attend, you are allowed one date change at no charge, as long as you let us know in writing at least 30 days in advance of the first day of the Intensive.
When students arrive in Arizona for the Intensive on-site training, where do they stay?
Most of the on-site Intensive is held at the Sedona Creative Life Center and the McLean Meditation Center in Sedona. Participants can stay where they like as there are many options for accommodations in Sedona. You can visit this page to find out how to get here and where to stay.
Sedona in February: The coldest month in Sedona is December, and then it gets nicer and nicer after that. There is sometimes a light dusting of snow, and it becomes magical here. Rarely, if ever, is there an accumulation of snow. Sometimes if there is a snowstorm, the drive over the pass is a bit difficult, so you would have to plan around it. And so would we! Check out the weather here. Make your reservations early for your hotel if you are coming in February as this is held during the same time as the Sedona Film Festival.
What happens afterwards? Will I have ongoing support to make use of the tools?
At the end of the program you will have learned teaching skills you can immediately implement, and that will continue to benefit you for the rest of your life. To support you in your teaching ambitions, there are marketing, teaching, and personal resources available (included in your course fee) You'll also be invited to join a web-based community of certified teachers.
What teaching opportunities are available once I am certified?
Meditation is seeing a time of unprecedented popularity. We are so excited that over 1 million new meditators each year in the U.S. alone! Though there are no guarantees that you can make a living solely teaching meditation, there are plenty of opportunities to share meditation with your family, community, and organizations near where you live and work. You will be certified to teach a comprehensive program, one that can be easily tailored to a variety of venues and audiences.
People are seeking certified meditation professionals to guide them in the world of meditation. They are not necessarily interested in the 'religious aspect' that accompanies many meditation techniques, and this opens the way for many new secular meditation teachers.
Some people become teachers to teach their family and friends, while keeping their job separate from their meditation teaching. Others get certified because they want to bring it into their existing counseling, coaching or health care practice. Some people plan to teach in hospitals, workplaces, schools, and some set up their own private practice.
Each person can use his or her previous work experience and credentials differently. It's important to decide how and where you want to to work and share your talents, and how much time you can commit to starting a new profession and business.
There are plenty of opportunities to develop and offer adjunct or support programs in your community or online. For instance, you could offer group meditations and retreats, or follow-up coaching. You'll get referrals from your students, as meditation classes are often found by word-of-mouth. Our students find us because we have a great reputation and are the go-to teachers in their community.
You will also be listed on the Find a Teacher page so that people can find you and inquire into your programs.
What do I need in addition to certification?
You will need confidence, creativity, willingness and an entrepreneurial spirit! Meditation will help you to cultivate this. You will have to build your credibility with your experience and with your exposure. This can mean setting up free appearances, writing articles, and marketing yourself and your programs in print, TV, radio, social media, and on websites, etc. Believe me, it is an adventure!
Teaching meditation can be one of the the most rewarding experiences in your life, and it will certainly deepen your meditation practice too.
A message from Sarah McLean
I am so excited to invite you to be a part of this program!
This certification program is based on my years of teaching experience and the work of my best-selling book and the breakthrough program it features: Soul-Centered: Transform Your Life in 8 Weeks with Meditation.
If you haven’t yet read it, it’s a program of meditations and meditative techniques inspired by and based on my 20-plus year spiritual journey - an adventure which took me to a Zen Buddhist Training Center where I spent years in residence, ashrams and temples throughout India and the Far East where I meditated and worked for months on end, a nunnery in north India for Tibetan Buddhist Nuns in exile where I taught English, and an immersion into an ancient mind/body health practice from India, called Ayurveda, that enhanced my understanding of meditation as the primary approach to healing and stress reduction.
I have been teaching meditation since 1993 and have assisted in the development of curriculum and courses for leading-edge authors and educators, among them Debbie Ford, Margo Anand, and Byron Katie. I also served as the founding Education Director for Deepak Chopra's Center for Wellbeing. It's clear, I am passionate about education.
After the launch of the book, I’ve had many requests to teach people meditation around the world and though I'd like to, I can’t teach everybody myself, but I certainly want everyone to learn. It’s becoming more and more apparent that there’s a real need for quality meditation teachers who can walk into a corporation, a health care facility or a classroom, and offer a variety of contemporary meditation modalities outside of a religious tradition. This is why I decided to create a professional meditation teacher certification program.
Once someone becomes certified through the MMI Meditation Teacher Certification Program, their name, e-mail, and website address will be listed directly on our website so anyone looking to learn to meditate may be sure find them. Certified teachers will be able to contact me anytime for mentorship so they can be sure they are becoming the meditation instructor they want to be.
I hope you'll consider being a part of this transformative program and the community of teachers that are helping to transform the world!
Zac Occhiline is a delightful, wise guide into the world of meditation, yoga and self-discovery. He will offer you meditation and yoga guidance throughout the program. He has studied and practiced yoga since 2000 including Hatha yoga, Kundalini, Kriya yoga, and has developed a unique and well-rounded understanding of the path of yoga and meditation. He has studied the philosophies of Sufism, Shamanism, Reiki and energy work, as well as practical applications of Ayurveda and Jyotish. He is a trainer for the Seven Centers Yoga Teacher Training Program. Growing up in Sedona has given him a deep appreciation and love of the wilderness. He’s hiked and backpacked through the deserts of Arizona and considers nature his biggest teacher. From his yoga practice, meditation and nature's influence, he has found a stability that allows him to better understand his own nature, and he enjoys helping others discover this within themselves.
Christine Muldoon will teach you to be the best presenter you can be. Chris, of CM Communication International, is a dynamic, knowledgeable, and insightful communication educator, speaking coach, and consultant with 30 years' experience as an expert in the area of persuasive communication.
She was the manager of Training and Development for the Fred Harvey Corporation, headquartered in the Grand Canyon National Park, and Deputy Director of the Division of Communications for the Arizona Department of Corrections. She has pioneered major efforts to implement leading edge communication training and development programs.
CM Communication International has earned the loyalty of a variety of unique clients including: IBM Corporation, Research in Motion (Blackberry) Aspect Software; MicroAge, Chipotle Mexican Grills, The Charles Machine Works (Ditchwitch), Turner Ranches Enterprises, The National Park Service, Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, Scottsdale Convention & Visitors Bureau, Alaska Peace Officers Association, Southwest Head Start, Arizona State University, AT Still University, ADOT, AZ Small Business Association, Iowa State University, California State University, Arizona Red Cross, NASA at Kennedy Space Center, City of Phoenix, City of San Jose, City of Las Vegas, Arizona Game and Fish; and Unity Churches.
Jeanna Zelin is a marketing expert who is passionate about meditation, yoga and self discovery. She is the founder of the Yoga of Marketing approach to building a credible business. A self-described "retreat junkie," Jeanna has earned her certification as a Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga instructor from the Chopra Center for Wellbeing. Jeanna left a career in corporate communications and marketing for companies like American Express to follow her heart and pursue her dreams. These days, when she isn't busy being a mom to her seven-year old boy, doing yoga, or meditating, she works at her PR firm, Lightbox Media, getting her clients noticed. They have appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show, The New York Times, CNN, BBC, Travel + Leisure, Wall Street Journal and hundreds of other media outlets. As a girl, Jeanna was a gymnast and can still be seen doing backflips on beaches in Santa Barbara and Mexico.
Carol Studenka is a social media expert and curriculum assistant who will help you as you dive into the Online Learning component of the Program. She says her life-long passion is teaching people to find the key to unlock their own door, and she believes meditation is that key. Since learning to meditate in 2006, she has inspired others to awaken their confidence, to be at the center of their own story, love themselves more, and open their hearts to paths never imagined. After 30 years of teaching high school in Detroit, and many life-changing experiences, she finds herself in Sedona where she's explored personal transformation modalities and shares them with others to help them find a more expansive and peaceful way of living.
Vera Lopez is a shamanic minister and an international spiritual teacher who will be welcoming you to Sedona and celebrating your transformation. She grew up in Brazil and at the age of 18, began studying spirituality with Luiz Gasparetto, a well-known psychologist and metaphysical teacher. Initiated in the Inca Tradition many times by different elders in Peru, including the Q'eros, Vera is a shaman in her own right. who leads classes and retreats on shamanism, metaphysics, traditional Japanese Reiki and Awakening the Illuminated Heart. Vera also studied with Debbie Ford and gratuated with the Ford Institute as an Integrative and Spiritual Divorce Coaching Professional. She's the founder of Spirits of the Earth®, a spiritual adventure travel company which offers spiritual journeys to Machu Picchu, Peru.
Latest CD Release
Sarah McLean delivers captivating instructions for the beginner, reminders for the seasoned meditator, and three soothing guided meditations. A selection of crystal bowl healing sounds makes this CD perfect for anyone seeking a soulful companion for meditation. More